Patents for the Franklin typewriter were originally filed in 1889 and assigned in 1891 by Wellington Parker Kidder to the Tilton Manufacturing Company of Boston, MA, a company also listed in patents of the Victor Index. In 1893, the company, also referred to as the Franklin Typewriter Company, experienced two fires in their 6th floor manufacturing site on Purchase Street, one in January and one in November. By 1894 they had moved to Greenwich Street, New York. They contracted with a Connecticut agent, Miller & Martin, who advertised the "New Franklin" from New York as "not to be mistaken for the old Franklin". Interestingly, Miller & Martin also experienced a fire in 1894 with uninsured losses of $40,000; the majority of their stock of 1000 typewriters were damaged. In 1897, the Franklin Typewriter Manufacturing Company became the Franklin Typewriter Company, Inc. It appears the company was struggling to pay off debts, including to Boston creditors, when they suffered involuntary bankruptcy in 1902, and eventually declared permanent bankruptcy around 1904. By 1907, the Victor Typewriter Company of Boston had bought out Franklin, moved to the New York plant, and eventually phased out the Franklin brand.